Saturday, February 18, 2012

Beacon and Eggs

Closed
Address: 2305 Beacon Ave. (Sidney)
Phone: (778) 426-0549
Website: http://www.beaconandeggs.ca/
Price: $10-14 breakfast entree
Notes: vintage decor, friendly atmosphere. Only open for breakfast and lunch but licensed. Go figure.



The first time I was in Sidney mid-morning and had about twenty minutes between meetings. I was cruising the main street questing for a place to eat and noticed the sign for "Beacon and Eggs." The name alone sold me! I do love me a good pun. 

Nestled in the same mall as Coast Capital and Safeway, it doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside is ridiculously cute! There are 'classic' blue and white vinyl booths and chairs, a massive bar area with televisions mocked up to look like something in I Love Lucy. According to comments on their Foursquare page, the restaurant is owned by the same people who run Sidney staples Fish on 5th and the Dockside Grill. 

The menu is pretty epic - everything from breakfast pizza to a full English breakfast which has become a rarity in Victoria! Then there's your classic bennies, several really nice breakfast wraps and a rotating selection of specials. Prices are pretty reasonable - with some menu exceptions (see the huevos I initially reviewed). They serve Farmer Ben's eggs which you can also purchase by the dozen to take away with you. 


Food:
February 5, 2012
Dynamite Wrap
Hashbrowns
My dynamite wrap was unlike anything I have ever had before in a breakfast wrap - in a good way! The pieces of banana pepper added a nice vinegary tang and spice without being overpowering and the spicy mayo and eggs together were fantastic. I ended up ordering hash browns and not being able to finish them without help because my wrap was so filling. 


Beans on Toast
English Banger sausages
My partner-in-food-and-life channeled my English roots (don't ask me to explain how that works...) and ordered beans on toast with a side of bangers. The beans were house-made and really nicely seasoned. They came with a very nicely soft-poached egg on top. If anything - some bacon would make that the perfect protein hit! The bangers on the side weren't sliced open and dry like you find in so many restaurants, they were fully baked and nicely flavoured. 

April 4, 2011

Huevos Rancheros via foodspotting.com

Of course, I had to try the huevos because I always have to try the huevos. I was in a bit of a rush, so I didn't take as much time over the individual flavours but it was a good dish! I found the overall prices to be a little on the high side, but I think that's the way brunch is going lately... I'm finding fewer and fewer meals under $10. Comine this with HST and my brunch outings have become limited which is very sad.

As promised, most of the sauces were from scratch which was a bit bonus. I wasn't overly impressed by the salsa, but I didn't have the time to taste over what was missing. The flour tortilla was quite nice - nicer than your average huevos tortilla. The only thing that was a little weird was the presentation, although pretty, I had to slather the sauces on, then move the tortilla back over to the empty spot in order to be able to cut it up for eating.


Service:
February 5, 2012
Still impressed with the service - it was actually kind of quiet for a weekend at peak brunch time, but it was so nice out I suspect people were enjoying the sunshine before the weather changed. By the time we left there were line-ups. Our food came quite quickly, meaning they could turn over tables quickly. The staff were very friendly and helpful with everything. 

April 4, 2011
The waitress was behind a long bar, but greeted me in an extremely friendly way once I entered. I clarified I was in need of a quick meal and she said it should be possible, and was right! It came before I'd finished checking my daily news and she had me the bill before I'd even started eating saying "I know you're in a rush, but no rush!" 

She seemed to have a good rapport with most of the customers, and had none of the... how shall I say this... burnt out frustration of most I see in customer service.