Saturday, July 30, 2011

Lully's Sandwich Bar

as of January 2012, it looks like Lully's is closed - but has been reopened as something similar. stay tuned!


Address: 732 Broughton St.
Phone: (250) 384-0403
Price: ~$10
Notes: Epic sandwiches, super-friendly service, coca-cola in the bottle and footie on the telly.


Another epic little hole-in-the-wall on Broughton street! This one is poised to take over the world. Stainless steel counters with a few chairs are inside, but there is quite a lot of seating outside and in good weather it's a lovely spot. Otherwise take-out is quick and easy. Either way, you can catch up on your british football while you wait. When I visited I overheard the owner talking about expansion plans - longer hours and franchising. Look out Canada - sandwiches of tastiness are coming your way!


I swear there is not a bad thing on this menu. It probably helps that it's pretty static, so has probably been honed to perfection. There's a sandwich to appeal to every (non-vegetarian's) taste. Cheesesteak, montreal smoked meat, chicken po-boy, foot-long hot dogs... the list is long, I've forgotten it all.








Service:
July 29, 2011
The owner is the single most friendly person I've ever met. You walk into his shop and you feel like you're his favourite customer even if he's never seen you before in his life. He works really hard to remember Everyone's name (and succeeds an amazing amount of the time!). I think he recognizes that he is in the hospitality industry. You are a guest in his restaurant, and should be treated as such. This is different that even respectful, friendly service (as in I am here to serve you) you get some places. It's quite refreshing!


Food:
July 29, 2011
We both had some of the coca cola in bottles that he carries. He currently also has cherry coke in cans, as well as the regular selection of sprite and diet cokes in the bottle. Somehow it's just so much better in a bottle, it defies explanation.


Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich via foodspotting.com


I actually had a montreal smoked meat sandwich. I say "actually" because there are two things that I really don't like to eat: 1. bread 2. sandwich meat. The fact that I liked this sandwich a Lot should speak volumes! I was trying to place the flavour of the meat while eating it and my partner-in-food-and-life said "it's got that clovey taste to it" which is exactly it! Comes with your choice of hot, dijon or regular mustard with optional pickles on the side. 




Nathan's Foot-Long Hot Dog via foodspotting.com


Yes, this photo is actual size. Foot-long - so long, he had to special-order local pretzel buns! Yes, pretzel buns, my single most favourite bread product. My p.i.f.a.l. beat me to ordering the Nathan's hot dog. This this redefines hot dogs for me in a big way! There are topping options galore... so many I can't even remember but there's a list when you order. I can't even tell you how good this hot dog is. There are no words. Sorry folks, you'll just have to try it yourselves.