Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pizzeria Prima Strada - Bridge Street

Address: 2960 Bridge St.
Phone: (250) 590-4380
Website: www.pizzeriaprimastrada.com
Price: $12-16 a pizza
Notes: Traditional neapolitan, wood-fired pizza



While our visits to pizza places are few and far between, I had had a pizza craving for a while now and decided that it was high time we re-visit PPS and try their other location (time and distance had convinced me I just ordered the wrong thing at my last visit to Cook St Prima Strada). Also, we had a dinner date with another couple to try a new chain pizzeria on the horizon, so we thought we needed to compare with a bit more recent experience (for the record, PPS is better across the board; that other place is basically the Boston Pizza of neapolitan pizza).

The Bridge Street location is much more to my 'style' than the Cook St location. It feels much more like a casual and unpretentious dining location. There are some really nice seating options for lager groups of communal tables. They also do some really neat sounding Long Table Dinners that I sadly haven't had a chance to try yet but hopefully someday (soon). They also have more option on the menu than that Cook St location, including some reportedly amazing meatballs that I still need to try...

The prima's social media goddess, Courtney, had been pretty active in events like #pouteam and joined us on our recent Moveable Feast adventures. It's been neat hearing her talk about the team at PPS and their dedication and excitement about what they are doing. Obviously this has changed the way I see the restaurant, made it more personal (as well as ruined any chance I have of dining anonymously when she is working... bah!). So - full disclosure *wink*.


Food:
August 10, 2012
Daily special with gravlox
Daily special with gravlox & capers

My partner-in-food-and-life was clearly not in a 'sharing' mood, opting for a special with gravlox (salt-cured salmon) and capers, neither of which I am a huge fan of. I tried a bite, but I just cannot convince my tastebuds that salmon is as delicious as everyone tells me it is. I miiiight be coming around on capers though. It was raved about by the orderee, which is all that matters. 

Fungi
Fungi

This is what I should have ordered last time, and I probably will have a really hard time not ordering it from this day forward. It combines so many things that just go so darn well together - roasted mushrooms have the ability to bring me to my knees on most days, but adding in some thyme, pecorino cheese and that slightly burnt-edged crust and I might just have a new weakness. A delicious, sloppy, foldable weakness. 

Tiramisu
Tiramisu

Somehow, we still had room for dessert, and ended up opting for the house tiramisu. It was sweet, but not too sweet, and soft and paired very nicely with the espresso we had been sipping on. An elegant end to a delicious meal!


Espresso
Espresso

After so much good food we decided it needed to be balanced out with an espresso. They get their coffee from Drumroaster, and it was, of course, excellent.


Service:
August 10, 2012
Despite being completely slammed on a Friday night we had brilliant service. It does help that Courtney knows us... but I'm going to bet that the sentiment would have been echoed across the restaurant.